2011年4月28日星期四

Seniors make post-grad plans

As the semester wraps up and comes to a close, seniors are anxious about graduation and what their future holds.
“I'm hoping to get into law school this fall,” said senior administration of justice major Megan McCoy.

McCoy got involved in a number of clubs and activities at the college during her time on campus. She played pitcher on the softball team for four years, is an active member of the Theta Phi Alpha sorority and served on SGA. McCoy said she has enjoyed her time at UVa-Wise and values all the people she has met.

“My experience here has had its up and downs, but overall I love my professors, faculty, friends and sorority sisters so it was good,” McCoy said.

One of McCoy's fellow sorority sisters, Aceshia Wampler, is also graduating this semester. Wampler is a psychology major and a cheerleader at the college.

Wampler said she is planning to eventually attend graduate school at Lindsey Wilson School of Counseling. She hopes to work as a family and marriage counselor.

Wampler said she is going to miss the college —  especially her friends and her sorority sisters.

“My experience at this college was overall really positive,” said Wampler. “I feel like I've grown a lot over the past years and made many lasting bonds with a lot of different people.”

Some seniors are already packing up their rooms, even though graduation isn't until May 14.

Mark Phillips, a physical education major, has already been packing some of his belongings up and loading them in his vehicle.

“I've helped Mark carry stuff to his car,” said junior Jermaine Wright. “I can't blame him because he's really ready to graduate and get out of here, and I would be too.”

Phillips said he is seeking an internship after graduation with the Washington Wizards, the NBA team in Washington, D.C.

He said he wants to work in the Wizards' Media and Game Operations Department so he can utilize his education and training in sports management to its maximum potential.

Sam Eligwe, a senior business administration major, is also graduating in May and already has major plans for his future.

Eligwe was Phillips' teammate on the basketball team at UVa-Wise for the last two years.

“I want to fit in to every aspect of being an entrepreneur,” said Eligwe. “I want to open my own chain of men's boutiques and after I graduate I plan on working hard to get my business up and running.”

Eligwe said he has been developing this business idea with his brother for the past three years. The stores will have a “fashion forward” concept and will feature unique clothing and shoes for men.

He said he will also be traveling to different parts of the world this summer, including Las Vegas, London, New York and Nigeria. He will be doing philanthropy work in Nigeria, helping and giving back to the communities.

Overall, Eligwe said his experience at UVa-Wise was “different” and is something he will never forget.

“Before living here, I honestly had no clue where Wise was, and being from a big city I just couldn't get used to it at first,” said Eligwe. “But, over time, I saw the benefits of this little school and learned to appreciate all of them.”

没有评论:

发表评论